- The hiking will begin from the Etna north station;
- First, we will have breakfast with local products at 1800 mt;
- After, we will walk through roads used by jeeps;
- 10 minutes in our journey, we will be crossing two sides of the very recent 2002 flow. This flow has strongly defined the landscape of this area;
- Right after that, we will have the opportunity to walk alongside small volcanic structures, which are named bottoniere, and various ancient lava flows;
- We’ll be wandering one of the most evocative and fairytale-like beech forests until we reach the mountain shelter named Timparossa;
- From there on We will have the chance and privilege to walk on top of the longest ever documented eruption on Etna (10 years): the lunar landascapes of “Sciara del Follone and Passo dei Dammusi”;
- We will be hiking on ropy lava, fractures, toothpaste magma and volcanic structures that give to this area a unique style and shape until we will reach “Monte dei morti”: a small mountain fluid magma in a shape of dead bodies;
- After the hard hike, we will finally get to the enormous entrance of the Frost Cave, considered the southest permanent glacier of Europe: the temperature inside never goes higher than -6 °C . We will explore it safely with helmets and torches;
- Once we get out, we will have lunch surrounded by the silence of the mountain;
- On the way back, we will walk down by another path to get one of the most famous cave of the area: the raspberries cave. We will visit it in about half an hour;
- At the end of our walk, we will be returning to the beech forest and we will reach a small mountain refuge nestled in the woods;
- On the way back, we will walk alongside an ancient lateral cone devoid of vegetation and we will have the opportunity to enjoy the ghostly landscape that the 2002 eruption gave us.
pp (minimum 2)
* In case of a different pick-up from the meeting point, the transport will be charged.
- Certified guide
- Liability insurance
- Trekking poles
- Helmets and lights
📍Piano Provenzana (Etna North) 95015 – Linguaglossa (CT), next to the souvenir shop “Soleneve”
⮕ Distance 16 km
⧗ Duration 10 h
⭜ Difference in height 700 m
↝ Difficulty EE – difficult
⮂ Type of itinerary Loop walk
WHAT TO BRING?
- Backpack (30 L)
- Long trousers
- High trekking shoes
- K-way or poncho
- 2 L of water
- Sun cream
*The equipment may be changing depending on the season and forecast. The guide will inform accordingly
*The guide can decide anytime to exclude from the excursion anyone who is not properly equipped
- Individual (<55 yo)
- Families (>18 yo)
- Small group
➤If one of more of the partecipants suffer from any patologies, let the guide know in advance!!
➤In case of bad weather conditions, Etna eruptions or ash falling, the guide can decide anytime to change the agreed itinerary.
Trekking | Excursions | Experiences
National register code: SI582
📞 +39 3881146617
Copyright © 2023 Feeling Etna Trekking. All rights reserved.